[plug] Red Hat

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Mon Sep 22 10:41:58 WST 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, quoth Jon  Miller:

> Maybe Matt and Scott can look into this and get a reseller authorisation.

I'm sure we could, but we're not interested.

Last time we bought a boxed set of RH we got stuck with it because it did
not sell.  Besides, there are so many distributions that are much
better[0] than Red Hat, there really isn't any point.

> > Does that mean that anyone who has a set of RH 9 CD's, can not now copy
> > them and give copies to people?
>
> My understanding is that they just don't want them sold as "Red Hat" -
> you're still quite free to copy them etc. Check their website for info.

The letter we received from RH was quite clear:

"While it is completely legal to copy and redistribute the Linux software
 under the GNU General Public License, it is not legal to name that
 software \"RED HAT\" or any similar name thereof.

"In accordance with the provisions of the End User License Agreement
 (EULA), it is required that the trademark and anaconda images be
 modified so that the trademarks do not appear in the software.  Please
 note that the mere deletion of these files will corrupt the software."

So even if you make a copy for a friend, you can't call it Red Hat, and
you have to make modifications to the CDs first.

 - Matt
[0] IMHO of course