[plug] Red Hat

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Sep 22 08:04:12 WST 2003

Just got off the phone with RedHat and they stated that if one bought the $39.95 boxed 9 CD version you can install that on any server for anyone.  The Pro version cost $295 and comes with 60 days free installation support.  The Enterprise version for a single server costs $1345 (RRP) and comes with a 1 year annual support contract.
The only issue is the boxed version can be bought from Everything Linux.
So I guess it comes down to who they authorise as their resell outlet.
Maybe Matt and Scott can look into this and get a reseller authorisation.

Jon

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> craig at postnewspapers.com.au 2:02:31 AM 22/09/2003 >>>

> Does that mean that anyone who has a set of RH 9 CD's, can not now copy
> them and give copies to people?

My understanding is that they just don't want them sold as "Red Hat" -
you're still quite free to copy them etc. Check their website for info.

> If so, that appears to be strange, and seems to cross the line from Open
> Source to Microsoft Licensing.

Far from it. They don't gain audit or search powers, the ability to
charge license fees, remotely modify your OS without your permission,
etc. They just choose not to license their trademark for free to other
companies.

Craig Ringer