[plug] IDE-Tape Drive - Solved

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 22:20:56 WST 2003

> > I then began to use tar, but of course if you want
> > to exclude files or directories, it doesn't
actually
> > work in any way.

I don't know if it's any help, but I've never gotten
the --exclude= option to work either. However, last I
remember (which was a few months ago), --exclude-from=
(-X) _did_ work.

It does mean that you need an extra file lying around,
but you can always exclude it - or if you're really
sneaky, create in on the fly in the script you use,
then delete it when you're finished :)

HTH
Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search