[plug] IDE-Tape Drive - Solved

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Sep 23 01:19:51 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 22:20, Andrew Furey wrote:
> > > I then began to use tar, but of course if you want
> > > to exclude files or directories, it doesn't
> actually
> > > work in any way.
>
> I don't know if it's any help, but I've never gotten
> the --exclude= option to work either. However, last I
> remember (which was a few months ago), --exclude-from=
> (-X) _did_ work.

WARNING: tar amateur at work below ....

I've never had a problem with --exclude=

I'm using it under the assumption that it runs the match on the _ENTIRE
RELATIVE FILENAME_ starting from the beginning, so if we were in a
directory  such as /usr/local on my system it has in it:

drwxr-sr-x    6 root     staff        4096 Sep 15  2002 Acrobat5
drwxr-sr-x    6 root     staff        4096 Sep 10 21:46 RealPlayer8
drwxr-sr-x    3 root     staff        4096 Dec 18  2002 RealPlayer9
drwxr-sr-x    3 root     staff        4096 Jan  7  2003 ircd
drwxr-sr-x    3 root     staff        4096 Sep  4  2002 kylix2
drwxr-sr-x   12 root     staff        4096 Sep  4  2002 kylix3
drwxr-sr-x    9 root     staff        4096 Feb 11  2003 mozilla
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Jun 13  2001 sbin
drwxrwsr-x   10 root     staff        4096 Jun 26 18:48 share

If I was to do:
	tar zcvf /tmp/archive.tgz .

It shows the files like this:
	./
	./share/
	./share/games/
	./share/games/fortunes/

So to exclude the share directory for example:
	tar zcvf /tmp/archive.tgz --exclude=./share .

If however I did this:
	tar zcvf /tmp/archive.tgz *

It shows files like this:
	share/
	share/games/
	share/games/fortunes/

So you exclude the share directory like so:
	tar zcvf /tmp/archive.tgz --exclude=share *

Once we've cleared that common mistake up, you can do stuff like this,
so long as the match takes into account the whole filename placeholding
at the start:

--exclude=*/games/*unes

That would take out share/games/fortunes/ from above listing

If you want to match a directory and thus wipe out everything below it,
you must not put a slash after its name at the end of the pattern
(*/games  not */games/)

For filenames, you can do whatever you like.

tar on one SCO system at work has no exclude options, so I list the
files needed and grep out the ones i want to exclude and pass that list
to tar.

If anyone else has anything to add/delete from that - feel free, I feel
I'm in need of guidance on this as much as anyone else :)

Ryan