[plug] MP3s on a NTFS not working out

Weirdo linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 23 09:50:58 WST 2003

Hi, I have approx 9Gb of MP3s on an NTFS partition. I can easily convert it
to FAT32 if I wanted to but I prefer NTFS[1] for use under Windows and for
protection against other idiots using my computer. Under Linux I can play
the Mp3s fine directly off the Disk using freeamp, XMMS and other lovely
GUI based apps. I WANT MY CONSOLE APPS! mpg321 and mpg123 both fail to play
the files off NTFS. If I move them to ext2/3 or FAT it works fine. The
error I get is device not found (i spent weeks trying to find out what
module wasn't loaded, by accident I found out it was the NTFS)
Can any one tell me why this happens and how I can redeem it without moving
files?
Thanks
Tim

[1] The file security of NTFS (although not as good as ext2/3) means that I
can lock my MP3s away from other windows users at LANs, It also means their
is not risk of deletion of files from Linux when I am using Linux as a
Jukebox and someone accidently gets root as NTFS write support isn't
compiled into the kernel.

weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk
Dot TK ambassador #24084 - For a free .tk domain please contact me

ICQ# 255176389
MSN weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk

Riverton, Perth, WA