[plug] Recommended computer store

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue Sep 23 14:43:50 WST 2003

If you're going to walk into the store and purchase something, does
their web site really matter?

Lets face it.  Microsoft makes the most dominant OS that desktop users
use.  Microsoft also have the most dominant web browser in Internet
Explorer.  So catering for the largest section of the market makes
business sense (whether you personally agree or not).  Sure, they could
if they used a bit of effort, make their web site function fine no
matter what HTML compliant browser you were using.  But obviously they
don't have the knowledge to make their web site work properly at this
stage.  I mean c'mon.. if they knew how to fix it, they probably would've.

If you want to bitch about anyone not having a web site that functions
correctly in a browser other than IE.  How about the Commonwealth Bank's
web site (go into the personal banking section and you'll see the
dislocated java floating menu running rampant in non-IE browsers).
Also, how about major government departments (both state and federal)
having web sites that declare that you need to use IE to view their web
site and in some cases, certain elements of the web site don't function
properly. e.g. Wagenet web site - last time I tried doing a search with
Mozilla, it didn't work properly, whereas it did in IE.  The old Osiris
web site which they have taken down now that used to perform the same
tasks worked flawlessly for me under Mozilla.

BTW, I don't work for PLE or have any other vested interests.

/ Ben