[plug] Recommended computer store

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Tue Sep 23 15:02:16 WST 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:43 pm, Ben Jensz wrote:
> If you're going to walk into the store and purchase something, does
> their web site really matter?
>
> Lets face it.  Microsoft makes the most dominant OS that desktop users
> use.  Microsoft also have the most dominant web browser in Internet
> Explorer.  So catering for the largest section of the market makes
> business sense (whether you personally agree or not).  Sure, they could
> if they used a bit of effort, make their web site function fine no
> matter what HTML compliant browser you were using.  But obviously they
> don't have the knowledge to make their web site work properly at this
> stage.  I mean c'mon.. if they knew how to fix it, they probably would've.

I was more concerned with the reaction I got when I asked about it, and the
likelyhood that they would blame hardware problems on my choice of OS, and a
reaction of well you should use Windows then from 2 different staff members
on 2 occasions made me really pissed off. Its as if I'm a source of problems
and not a customer.  They brought up the fact I should have done it online on
_BOTH_ occasions (1 purchase)

> If you want to bitch about anyone not having a web site that functions
> correctly in a browser other than IE.  How about the Commonwealth Bank's
> web site (go into the personal banking section and you'll see the
> dislocated java floating menu running rampant in non-IE browsers).

True, but I'm not trying to buy computer(s/ bits) off them to use in a Linux
environment.  (I assume the poster plans to use the PC for Linux, being a
Linux user group)

 > Also, how about major government departments (both state and federal)
> having web sites that declare that you need to use IE to view their web
> site and in some cases, certain elements of the web site don't function
> properly. e.g. Wagenet web site - last time I tried doing a search with
> Mozilla, it didn't work properly, whereas it did in IE.  The old Osiris
> web site which they have taken down now that used to perform the same
> tasks worked flawlessly for me under Mozilla.

I am not happy with the contractors that build non-compliant webpages for
government and believe standards compliance (W3C) should be part of the
requirements, they have no excuses.

> BTW, I don't work for PLE or have any other vested interests.

Don't worry I didn't think you did ;-)