KVM mouse misbehavior - was [plug] GIMP users to confirm behaviour

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Tue Sep 23 15:43:56 WST 2003

On Saturday 20 September 2003 08:24, Craig Ringer wrote:
> James Devenish wrote:
> > Aha...you know how Craig was suggesting random funny-sounding
> > ideas as a joke, well, one of those things was to turn on scroll
> > lock. So...finally...yes, I can only move entire layers (not
> > selected pixels per se) but it is at least possible to do that
> > much (as long as scroll lock is not enabled). I've never used the
> > scroll lock before -- I don't even know where its semantics might
> > be documented!
>
> It definitely modifies the behaviour of other modifiers, but I'm
> not clear on how. I have a KVM switch that uses scroll lock as its
> keyboard hotswitch key (because nothing uses scroll lock anymore
> right? - surely not a server console!) so I run into that a lot. I
> should probably have mentioned that.

Craig, do you use your mouse through the KVM? I had lots of trouble
switching between a Linux and a Windoze box using a Belkin KVM, with
the gdm on the Linux box getting really upset with the mouse
everytime I switched. I gave up and use two mouses (mice?) and that
fixed the problem, but I am interested if anyone else had the same
difficulties. If pressing the scroll lock does stuff in the
background, that may explain a few things.

Steve

--
'What is worth doing and what is worth having?'
I would like to say simply this.