KVM mouse misbehavior - was [plug] GIMP users to confirm behaviour

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 16:26:48 WST 2003

> Craig, do you use your mouse through the KVM? I had lots of trouble
> switching between a Linux and a Windoze box using a Belkin KVM, with
> the gdm on the Linux box getting really upset with the mouse
> everytime I switched. I gave up and use two mouses (mice?) and that
> fixed the problem, but I am interested if anyone else had the same
> difficulties. If pressing the scroll lock does stuff in the
> background, that may explain a few things.

Everyone (well, nearly everyone) has that problem. Apparently some very clever
(read "expensive") KVM switches know enough about the imps/2 protocol to be
able to figure out what happens when the switch is made, but for most of us,
using a wheel mouse on a KVM switch causes trouble.

The issue is a hot potato in the Linux world. The blame lies with the kernel
people, the mouse driver people, the X people, etc., depending on who's doing
the talking. MS just fixed the problem; I doubt it'll get fixed in the Linux
world any time soon.

If you can't live without the wheel, the easiest way around the issue it to
get into the habit of switching to a virtual console and back to X before
moving the mouse. That resets the mouse handling in X.

--
> eatapple
core dump