[plug] Recommended computer store

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 23 16:25:46 WST 2003

> I was more concerned with the reaction I got when I asked about it, and the
> likelyhood that they would blame hardware problems on my choice of OS

I have excellent results with Austin like that. They may not have the
foggiest how to use anything but Windows, but if you say "it's a
hardware fault" and can show it, they just don't care - swap it and be
done with it.

Then again, I deal with them for business too, and having made a big
server purchase they're pretty helpful.

I can understand where the computer shops are coming from - they have a
hard enough time just keeping up with the hardware, and learning an
extra OS is a bit much. After all, how many PC shop sales people know
what they're talking about with common hardware as it is?

It's a little irritating, but I can live with it. IMHO it's mostly the
hardware manufacturers' fault - they're the people who should be testing
the product properly, ideally providing drivers or assisting in their
creation, etc. And, of course, the users - if the hardware manufacturer
hasn't done the job, go for one who has.

Anyway, I just haven't had a real issue with Linux in terms of dealing
with resellers etc, not for years. Then again, if I buy hardware that
won't work under Linux I consider it my fault, and that of the hardware
manufacturer, and not the reseller's problem.

Craig Ringer