[plug] flashy HTML

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Sep 24 12:27:10 WST 2003

> 'Tis. You just need to make sure that the flashy is kept server-side,
> ie, you're spitting out what the brower considers to be plain HTML and
> well-known image formats

Indeed.

> and carefully avoiding ActiveX, Flash or fancy
> JavaScript.

I can definitely agree with you there.

> You can add a few JS rollowers and such to that which will work with
> every JS-enabled browser or silently and completely fail. A site built
> like that will work with links, lynx, Mozilla, Exploder, Konqueror,
> Opera and everything else.

Yeah. The problem I have with "fancy" sites is usually layout that
doesn't get interpreted exactly the same way on different browsers due
to sheer complexity, funny business with fonts (eg changing leading and
specifying it in px to compound the error), and relying on many graphics
being rendered as exactly touching each other. These sites will most
often work in older browsers, but can be hard to get around.

I think a reaonably simple layout is also important for good site
useability, and anybody messing with leading should be shot ;-).

I suspect we may be suffering from a differing definition of "fancy
stuff" here. I agree that it's pretty easy to make a nice, visually well
designed website, also heavily graphical if you like that sort of thing.
  There are too many pitfalls and problems to dodge to make it really
easy, though - too much CSS you can't use because of browser bugs and
such, etc.

> Another pet hate is websites where every link is JS-driven, and the
> default (no-JS) action is to *do*nothing* when the user clicks.

Now that, I hate. Especially trying to open a new tab on a link in
mozilla - oh well, another javascript procedure that can't run when
called out of expected context, resulting in an empty window. *sigh*.

Craig Ringer