[plug] flashy HTML (was: Recommended computer store)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Sep 24 10:24:36 WST 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:24, Craig Ringer wrote:
> It's really /not/ trivial to make it flashy/fancy and work well for
> everybody.

'Tis. You just need to make sure that the flashy is kept server-side,
ie, you're spitting out what the brower considers to be plain HTML and
well-known image formats and carefully avoiding ActiveX, Flash or fancy
JavaScript.

You can add a few JS rollowers and such to that which will work with
every JS-enabled browser or silently and completely fail. A site built
like that will work with links, lynx, Mozilla, Exploder, Konqueror,
Opera and everything else.

Where most purveyors of fancy crud fail is in achieving their fanciness
thoughtlessly with masses of JS, the odd ActiveX plugin, and using
stuff like Flash for menu buttons (Flash is OK in its place, but it's
really annoying to have to close a dozen MacroMedia windows when you
hit such a site).

All of the above is client-side. I cite as an example my Billion DSL
modem. I'm logging its stats, and to do that I parse the values out of
the JavaScript in the web page. It actually ships the browser enough JS
to construct the page, nowhere are the actual values written into the
HTML itself. Morons!

Another pet hate is websites where every link is JS-driven, and the
default (no-JS) action is to *do*nothing* when the user clicks.

Cheers; Leon