[plug] open source video (burglar) surveillance

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 25 09:58:49 WST 2003

At 22:48 24/09/2003 +0800, I wrote:
>Dear PLUG list members,
>
>I'm wondering if anyone has investigated or used open source software for
>the purposes of video surveillance for theft.   The context is my son's
>preschool where several pilferings have occurred.  I'm musing about the
>possibility of using (something like) the Wizard mini PC, the USB ports
>interfacing a video camera or two and the processing being done on a
>frame-difference basis mitigated by time of day, since we'd be interested

It's nice to know that this is something others have been thinking about,
too :-)

Thanks to Sacha for the links, especially to "motion" which seems to be
exactly what I had in mind.  "motion" or "motion detection" was not among
my search terms last night - doh!   For the egg-stealing scenario, Sacha,
how about a pre-loved laptop, wi-fi card and solar panel(s) for a
completely "remote" observation package?

Scott, thanks for your input, too.   The camera views are impressive (your
first link) and the depth of field is much better than I would have
imagined but I haven't yet had a look at any of the videos (second
link).   The file sizes are smaller than I'd surmised but given a number of
"events" per night of surveillance, they could certainly add up.   Perhaps
using the output of "motion", being the difference image only, could help
in containing sizes.   The network cameras (Netcomm) certainly look good
and would present a stand-alone solution.   I'll get some pricing in case
they want to go this way.   But I suspect that costs will be a sensitive point.

I begin also, to feel unsure about the capabilities of "the Wizard" in this
role.   Maybe as a proof of concept, it would work.   By the time one added
a larger hard drive, extra memory, etc you'd quickly get to the stage of
thinking about beefier hardware to start with.   Video cameras and capture
cards, while providing far better quality video, would also add to the cost
and data volume.   I suppose the call here is what is acceptable for
identification purposes in case of burglary or building defacement.

The X10 products - haven't THEY been around for a while!!!??? - mentioned
by Jay are interesting and the prospect of appliance control to emulate
habitation is valuable.   I especially like the RoboDog listed under
security products - just think, no vet bills :-)

Thanks for all the above information and ideas and I'll be doing some
further delving based on it.   Maybe we should market this surveillance
idea to the folks who erect and maintain those new bus shelters - has
anyone else been "impressed" by the amount of smashed glass seen most
mornings (in my South of the River area, anyway)?
Cheers,
Denis