[plug] gcc :Which files?

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu Sep 25 12:33:23 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 25/09/2003 12:22 PM
-----

                      "J & J Powell"
                      <cosmos at avon.net.        To:       <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      au>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [plug] gcc :Which files?
                      plug-admin at plug.l
                      inux.org.au

                      25/09/2003 12:05
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>Well.... I've got my helloworld program written in text editor 'Kate' in a
>file called helloWorld.c

>It is in a directory called helloworld

>I am changing into the helloworld directory and then using ggc-o
helloworld
>helloworld.c

That looks fine, except that the first paragraph says that the filename is
helloWorld (with a capital W in the middle). Linux/Unix is case sensitive,
so you have to type the name exactly as is is shown in 'ls'. Also your
command for compiling should be 'gcc -o helloworld helloworld.c'.

What you can do is try the lazy way. I don't have a linux box here but try
typing 'gcc -o h' and the press the "tab key". That should fill in the rest
of 'helloworld.c' back space over the '.c' and continue typing ' h' and
press "tab" again that should fill in everything nicely with the name spelt
exactly. Just press enter.

>In response I get
>gcc:no input files

>So I thought that I need to install some missing files. Please note that I
>know basically nothing about Linux, have only just installed it straight
>from the box.......

Yes, we had sort of guessed that ;) Welcome to the fascinating world of
linux/unix, where you don't find a learning curve, more like a brick wall,
which you have to climb vertically. It is worthwhile though.  :)

Basically if you've got your compiler and libraries, you're ok. Try 'gcc
-v' and it should return the version of the compiler. If you get that
you're away.

>Thanks Janice

Hope this helps
RichardM