[plug] Linux Modem Compability

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Fri Sep 26 01:30:21 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 00:57, Eternal Visionz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first time posting on the PLUG mailing list.

Great to have you on board.

> I've just installed a dual-boot system with Windows XP and Mandrake
> 9.1 about two days back.

Well hopefully we can help you with running linux full time real soon.

> Everything went along fine the first time I installed it. But then
> Linux couldn't detect my internal modem in my laptop. So I checked my
> modem's website for drivers, but it seems they only support Windows
> platforms, and not any other OSes.

It is possible that your modem is actually a winmodem (i.e. a modem that
removes some of the hardware functionality and cost found in normal
modems by writing special software that performs this functionality
using your CPU. Most manufacturers of winmodems only release the
software for the windows platform hence the name).

There is a website called http://linmodems.org/ that you can download a
scanModem tool from to determine if your modems chipset is supported.
Before going down the external usb modem path I would check linmodmes
out and see if you can't get your internal modem working first.

> And my laptop doesn't have any serial ports, only USB ports. Does
> anyone know how I can overcome this problem? I've tried looking for
> USB-based modems with Linux compability, but haven't had any luck so
> far. Does anyone know where I can purchase an USB-based modem with
> Linux compability?

There are usb modems that are linux compatible but I don't know of any
of the top of my head having only used serial modems in the past. Check
out the Modem HOWTO on the Linux Documentation Projects pages.

http://www.linux.org.au/LDP/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

also the linmodems HOWTO

http://www.linux.org.au/LDP/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO.html

> If not, will it be possible to use a USB to Serial Adapter... as in
> will Linux recognise it? Thanks in advance for any information. Really
> appreciate it. :)

Try the above first and get back to us if you have any troubles. I don't
think you will have to resort to this.

> - Locke

Michael Hunt