[plug] Linux Modem Compability

Eternal Visionz eternalv at eternalvisionz.com
Fri Sep 26 00:57:20 WST 2003

Hi,

This is my first time posting on the PLUG mailing list. I've just installed a dual-boot system with Windows XP and Mandrake 9.1 about two days back. Everything went along fine the first time I installed it. But then Linux couldn't detect my internal modem in my laptop. So I checked my modem's website for drivers, but it seems they only support Windows platforms, and not any other OSes. And my laptop doesn't have any serial ports, only USB ports. Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem? I've tried looking for USB-based modems with Linux compability, but haven't had any luck so far. Does anyone know where I can purchase an USB-based modem with Linux compability? If not, will it be possible to use a USB to Serial Adapter... as in will Linux recognise it? Thanks in advance for any information. Really appreciate it. :)

- Locke