[plug] ftp

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 26 10:04:24 WST 2003

In message <1064541010.3387.48.camel at phoenix>
on Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:50:11AM +0800, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> What is the easiest way to be able to specify the ftp root directory for
> each user wiuth ftp access to a server.

1/ Please specify the version of proftpd that you are using (features
come and go as the product matures). Also, note the security alert for
all old proftpd versions <http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/>.

2/ I find yoru above statement to be ambiguous when viewed in
combination with your following statement (quoted below). When you say
"root", what do you mean exactly (I can think of two interpretations).

> I would like to be able to keep the websites located under /var/www/
> and give ftp access to the /var/www/$website directory for each user
> and *also* give ftp access to /home/$user/public_html for their
> personal webpages.

Are you saying that you want people to log in with one username and have
access to both locations? There's no inherent problem with that at all
(just us FTP's 'cd' command), yet only one location could be the default
directory. Or are you saying that you want people to have two separate
accounts: one for their person site and one for their other site?