[plug] sparc ultra1

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 30 03:35:14 WST 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:01:13PM +0800, Patrick Tehvand wrote:
> I have been offered sun sparc ultra1 desktop (looks like a 160Mhz with
> 128M ram and 4.5G drive). The price is right (c; Was wondering if this
> is worth my time to fiddle around with?
[...]

By all means, goferit.

Sounds like a fully functional, uncrippled machine and you should have
little trouble getting it up and running, just follow the install
instructions. If you wanted to upgrade it you'll find that it uses odd
cards (SBUS) and odd RAM (200 pin DIMMs), but it's probably not
necessary.

It would be a perfectly good webserver and many other things besides.

> Ie use it as a way to dabble in 64bit?

Given that the code will take up more space, 64-bit code will probably
be slower for most things. OTOH, it will work in the same way that a
shiny new Sun with 8GiB of RAM will, so it's worth trying your software
on.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal