[plug] Slow kernel compile after rebuild

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Sep 30 10:56:23 WST 2003

Hi Pluggers,

Can anyone suggest why after I rebuilt my laptop over the weekend my
kernels now take almost exactly twice as long to compile?

I wiped it clean, reinstalled Debian, upgraded to testing/unstable where
plausible and put my old kernel image back without incident.

All the applications and general system performance is normal as it was
before, but the same kernel with the same config as before takes over 13
minutes when it used to take 6-7 or less.  This is the same if I do it
on console or in X (which is even slower with those lovely subpixeled TT
fonts in gnome-terminal raping the CPU)

The kernel in question I'm running under and compiling is 2.4.22

I'm using: gcc version 3.3.2 20030908 (Debian prerelease) - which is the
same version I was using before the rebuild.

Ryan