[plug] Just introducing myself to the group

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 30 15:56:05 WST 2003

>>We will try not to get in the way or ask too many foolish questions.
>
> Feel most welcome to get in the way and ask foolish questions, because
> if nothing else it gives us self-styled experts a momentary glow of
> superiority. (-:
>
> You'd be amazed to know how many lurkers quietly learn from the answers
> to your question, and secretly offer up prayers of thanks when you put
> your best foot forward for them.

It is probably worth noting that while all questions are welcome,
questions are far more likely to be helpfully and quickly answered if:
	- you've searched the archives
	- you've searched the web
	- you provide relevant information, ie hardware, troubleshooting steps
you've tried, what distro you're using, exact words of error messages,
log snippets, etc.

In other words - feel free to ask questions, but people are usually much
happer to answer your questions if you show you've gone to a little
effort to find the answer yourself first, and avoid repeating old questions.

That said, I think we've all been guilty of the "post, then find it with
google 5 mins later" mistake, or worse find the answer in the
already-installed documentation....

Craig Ringer