[plug] Just introducing myself to the group

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 30 16:29:37 WST 2003

>>That said, I think we've all been guilty of the "post, then find
>>it with google 5 mins later" mistake, or worse find the answer in
>>the already-installed documentation....
>
> This is quite a natural thing to occur.
>
> In phrasing the question for others to understand, you're forced to
> think about the problem in another way (one hopes!) and this not
> infrequently results in you working out the solution yourself, or in
> being able to find the answer by varying the search criteria.

Indeed. Nobody is likely to mind a follow up of - "sorry folks, found it
now - in case you're interested, it was ....". It's posts where the
poster has made _zero_ effort to look the issue up first that are a
problem (though the PLUG list is pretty good like that, overall).

It's not helped by the fact that 'the answer' can be in the local docs,
but until you know that the command you want is `zqukkp-cfg` you're kind
of stuck. One of my housemates is eternally lamenting the really rather
stupid abbreviations used for common UNIX commands - passwd, especially,
he seems to object to. I tend to agree - would 'chpassword' not be more
fitting with 'chmod', 'chsh', etc? Oh well - it's well and truly
permanant now.

Craig Ringer