[plug] Fedora changes in Samba ?

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Thu Apr 1 14:50:33 WST 2004

Scott Middleton wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 10:13, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 23:57, Kai wrote:
>>

>>>In case it was something to do with XP not wanting to behave properley
>>>with Samba I made these changes to my registry, but that didn't help.
>>>
>>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
>>>"requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000
>>>"signsecurechannel"=dword:00000000
>>
>>So you're not using encrypted passwords?
>>

> I was under the impression they are still md4 encrypted. Samba 3 you
> don't need to add the above registry keys. I believe it only changes the
> order on what kind of encryption is sent. Please correct me if i am
> wrong. Also these settings can be changed using gpedit.msc.
> A really good howto i refer people to is here:
> http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/advanced.html
>
> Regards

I've already checked this URL, what's where I got the reg keys from
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/advanced.html

My home box is not set-up as PDC or anything, I've only configured it so
I can map some folders to my Windows box.

Config (which I haven't changed, but may have been modified by Samba's
upgrade ?) looks like this:

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    workgroup = Workgroup

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = Linux Samba Server

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
    max log size = 0

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
    security = user

# This parameter will control whether or not Samba should obey PAM's
# account and session management directives. The default behavior is
# to use PAM for clear text authentication only and to ignore any
# account or session management. Note that Samba always ignores PAM
# for authentication in the case of encrypt passwords = yes

   obey pam restrictions = yes

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
    dns proxy = no

==============================

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories