[plug] Maildir vs mbox

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Apr 1 20:36:58 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 16:00, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> Where? Where? Where? I've been struggling with it for a week. For
> some reason, I can get KMail to authenticate using DIGEST-MD5, but
> mutt won't! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I find mutt "won't" on a lot of things. SSL client certificates being
the one that drives me up the wall. Alas, of all the things I could try
to improve, that's at the top of the "impossible" list. I find it hard
enough to /use/ OpenSSL.

> If you don't tell me where you've hidden that PDF, I'll probably have
> to kill you! :-)

The link was in there ... but it looks like I forgot I wasn't using vi.
":w" and all.

Here it is:
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/~craig/files/8c18e1988913379634c0ed646abab958/cyrus_authentication_map.pdf

All it is is a "map" of what the various sources of authentication info
Cyrus can use are, and how it uses them. For example,
saslauthd->pam->ldap vs auxprop->sasldb. It does cover what mechs are
supported using what auth sources (eg CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 only
supported via auxprop, not via saslauthd) too.

I don't know if it'll be useful for your purposes, unfortunately.

I take it that cyrus /is/ advertising CRAM-MD5 as an available
mechanism? Is mutt failing to authenticate, or just using LOGIN anyway?
Any luck looking at the traffic with Ethereal?

Hmm... this looks interesting when it comes to your issue:
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-sasl&msg=746

BTW, mutt uses sasl for authentication, the same lib cyrus uses. Hmm...
perhaps it /does/ support client certs, it's just undocumented in true
Cyrus style. Unfortunately, it appears to use sasl1 not sasl2 :-(

[craig at bucket craig]$ ldd /usr/bin/mutt | grep sasl
libsasl.so.7 => /usr/lib/libsasl.so.7 (0x4023c000)

Suggestions on that document would be appreciated, since at some stage I
plan to clean this up, add some supporting notes, and submit it to the
wiki.

Craig Ringer