[plug] Maildir vs mbox

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 1 21:20:12 WST 2004

On Thursday 01 April 2004 20:36, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 16:00, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > Where? Where? Where? I've been struggling with it for a week. For
> > some reason, I can get KMail to authenticate using DIGEST-MD5, but
> > mutt won't! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
>
> I find mutt "won't" on a lot of things. SSL client certificates being
> the one that drives me up the wall. Alas, of all the things I could try
> to improve, that's at the top of the "impossible" list. I find it hard
> enough to /use/ OpenSSL.
>
> > If you don't tell me where you've hidden that PDF, I'll probably have
> > to kill you! :-)
>
> The link was in there ... but it looks like I forgot I wasn't using vi.
> ":w" and all.

> Here it is:

http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/~craig/files/8c18e1988913379634c0ed646abab958/cyrus_authentication_map.pdf

Ahh.. thanks. I'll try to digest it.

> All it is is a "map" of what the various sources of authentication info
> Cyrus can use are, and how it uses them. For example,
> saslauthd->pam->ldap vs auxprop->sasldb. It does cover what mechs are
> supported using what auth sources (eg CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 only
> supported via auxprop, not via saslauthd) too.
>
> I don't know if it'll be useful for your purposes, unfortunately.
>
> I take it that cyrus /is/ advertising CRAM-MD5 as an available

According to KMail; yes.

Unfortunately the mail/cyrus log files indicate plaintext is
happening.... <sigh>

> mechanism? Is mutt failing to authenticate, or just using LOGIN anyway?
> Any luck looking at the traffic with Ethereal?

Haven't looked at it with Ethereal as yet... there is a lot of
network traffic.

What's worse is that I've somehow locked out authentication with
cyradm and imtest as well. :-(

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-sasl&msg=746

> BTW, mutt uses sasl for authentication, the same lib cyrus uses. Hmm...
> perhaps it /does/ support client certs, it's just undocumented in true
> Cyrus style. Unfortunately, it appears to use sasl1 not sasl2 :-(
>
> [craig at bucket craig]$ ldd /usr/bin/mutt | grep sasl
> libsasl.so.7 => /usr/lib/libsasl.so.7 (0x4023c000)

On mine:
  libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0x4017c000)

> Suggestions on that document would be appreciated, since at some stage I
> plan to clean this up, add some supporting notes, and submit it to the
> wiki.

I'll see if I can make sense of what's not going on. Thanks for the
hints.