[plug] apt-get remove fails

Russ Powers russ at powerstech.com
Fri Apr 2 20:24:09 WST 2004

Hi,

I tried to install deborphan a couple of days ago and it failed. It just
stopped and sat there for hours. I tried to kill it but it wouldn't die. I
had to reboot.

Now I can't get rid of it. I try to remove it but I get:

/home/russ# apt-get remove deborphan
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  deborphan
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1330 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
dpkg: error processing deborphan (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 deborphan

If I try to reinstall as it says, it just locks up again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
russ