[plug] GIMP/Pshop

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun Apr 4 22:56:36 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 22:35, Leon Brooks wrote:
> uments came up.
>
> I have a much happier story.
>
> The customer (a really nice bloke, too) was really, really glad that OOo
> could recover his huge (Chinese!) MS Word document essentially intact
> and at the 11th hour, and started messing around with it for real. He
> found several ways in which it did a better job for him than MS Word,
> particularly for Chinese docs [and here's me unable to even say "hello"
> in Chinese, although I now understand why the ideogram for "China" is
> what it is], and he's since adopted it for pretty much everything and
> started proselytising his peers for us. (-:
>
> Cheers; Leon

Sounds good. I had a lady tell me today that she's sick of all the
problems with Win ME (Mistake Edition or Mound of Excrement as I believe
you call it) and calling me out every time it breaks. She said that she
only uses her PC for e-mail and surfing the web and does most of her
stuff at work.

She didn't want to pay for an OEM (!) copy of XP so I suggested Linux
but then she a made a point about needing Microsoft Office. I can still
show her OpenOffice.org though I guess. No telling how she'll react.

If I can get Morphix working with the Netcomm Plus 4 USB ADSL modem then
I might be able to persuade her.

To be honest i've only managed to move about 2 customers to Linux in as
many years. I have, however, encouraged a fair number of other techs to
take it up.

Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.