[plug] GIMP/Pshop

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Apr 4 22:35:23 WST 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:20, Chris Caston wrote:
> I had a customer that somehow managed to botch his Office XP
> install so that it would ask him for his product key (and reject it)
> every time he tried to start word.

> At the time I couldn't resolve nor find details on resolving the
> issue myself so I gave him OO.o writer and told him that it was from
> a free word processing suite that is completely compatible with
> Microsoft word. He got really narky and went through all his word
> documents trying to pick any slight difference in the way his
> documents came up.

I have a much happier story.

The customer (a really nice bloke, too) was really, really glad that OOo
could recover his huge (Chinese!) MS Word document essentially intact
and at the 11th hour, and started messing around with it for real. He
found several ways in which it did a better job for him than MS Word,
particularly for Chinese docs [and here's me unable to even say "hello"
in Chinese, although I now understand why the ideogram for "China" is
what it is], and he's since adopted it for pretty much everything and
started proselytising his peers for us. (-:

Cheers; Leon