List admin explanation [was: Re: [plug] how sk_buff works in sending packet?]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 6 20:38:50 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <4072A294.4030602 at wasp.net.au>
on Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 04:29:08PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Given the cc list on this one, I'm beginning to think this is a spam
> collector looking for suckers to respond.

It is possible that he (she?) lives in an area that does not have a
local user group. However, I also agree with the spirit of your earlier
sentiments (including the above -- I even mentioned off-list that this
seems 'suspicious'). However, as far as I recall, he/she is certainly
subscribed to the list.

This messages that just came through to the list are backlogged as far
back as Sunday. They all required moderator approval for various
reasons. Normally, I try to kill spam or approve posts as soon as they
arrive. However, sometimes I have to defer moderation until the end of
the day. In such cases, I use the web interface, and I 'discard' or
'defer' postings. After doing all the discards, I inspect the 'defered'
messages and then 'approve' the valid postings. With the current
backlog, I could not bring myself to 'approve' Sunday's messages. Also,
today's moderation was a little weird because I accidently marked all
the spam as 'accept' instead of 'discard'. Anyway, the point of all of
this is that it's the admins' collective "fault" that Parag's messages
were delayed until the current time. I realise they will seem
'antagonistic', coming after your comprehensive reply, but it is not my
job to censor people's Linux-related posts.