[plug] Attention, webcritters!

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Fri Apr 9 14:36:23 WST 2004

On Fri,  9 Apr 2004 12:54, James Devenish wrote:

> > but Postnuke seems unnecessarily complicated to do simple things.

RTFM =)

> Someone has suggested using 'Xaraya', though I have no idea about the
> relative merits of this package or the process of migrating to it.

That would be me.  Xaraya is more secure, more adaptable and IMO easier to
use.  PN has a huge overhead that hogs resources.  With Xaraya you need only
install what you need..

> > (IMNSHO Plug would be better served with flat HTML pages which would
> > look uglier

PN (and its predecessor PHPNuke) was chosen because at the time it offered
the most bang for the buck.  My plan as web admin was to create a means for
members who weren't on the mailing list and those who were either new to
linux or PLUG to access information and to be provided with support.  It was
in a sense PLUG's advertising and advocacy framework and a means to extend
the PLUG community.  We needed something like PN because I was trying to add
new information every day.  That no longer seems to be the case.  In fact
much of the information on the site is out-of-date and some hasn't changed
since I was admin.  This isn't a flame aimed at more recent admins - I know
how time consuming it can be to run the site.  Why do you think I left? =).
Even then I had the assistance of my wife, Tony 'the hit man' Breeds and Matt
'I lug around a 19inch' Kemner.  It was never a one person job and it should
never be required to be.  That's the other reason why we chose da Nukes.  So
the load could be shared.  They offered a facility to create sub-admins. But
getting back to my point, if you're not going to keep the site up-to-date,
then why bother having a web site at all?  It just looks bad.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

When this load is DONE I think I'll wash it AGAIN ...

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/