[plug] help how to configure kernel 2.6 with 2.4

Parag Nemade cranium2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 15:37:01 WST 2004

hello,
i have installed redhat linux 9 with kernel 2.4.20-8.
Then i downloaded kernel 2.6.4 and compiled it and add
an entry on grub to boot kernel 2.6.4 it boots very
well with QM_MODULES warning. what can i do? i also
updated modutils to 2.4.27-1 version but unable to see
modprobe or lsmod output in 2.6.4 kernel.
Also i want to play a sound in 2.6.4 for that i came
to know that i should upgrade my kernl2.4 to ALSA
support so i dowloaded alsa-lib-1.0.4
alsa-utils-1.0.4 packages from alsa-project site. the
alsa-lib installed properly but alsa-util gives error
while configure command as
[root at localhost alsa-utils-1.0.4]# ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install...
/usr/bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler...
yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none
needed
checking for a BSD-compatible install...
/usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ALSA CFLAGS...
checking for ALSA LDFLAGS...  -lasound -lm -ldl
-lpthread
checking for libasound headers version >= 0.9.0...
found.
checking for snd_ctl_open in -lasound... no
configure: error: No linkable libasound was found.
[root at localhost alsa-utils-1.0.4]#

what can do for that?
regards,
parag.