[plug] [OT] Aluminium cases

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun Apr 11 23:06:40 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 21:57, Arie Hol wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2004 at 15:59, Chris Caston wrote:
>
> > Yeah I don't know what was causing the issues.
> >
> > After that it doesn't work until I try it again outside the case with a
> > unmounted psu and and a separated on switch.
> >

> I had a similar situation with two machines last year, stripped out and on the bench  - everything
> was perfect - put it all back in the case - and everything was OK - then put the case covers back
> on and nothing but problems -
>
> Final verdict - in one case the chassis was distorted after falling off a desk - in the the other
> case some of the internal chassis members were distorted.
>
> Cause of problem - putting the rigid case covers back on caused the chassis to flex which in turn
> caused the m/boards to flex - instant problems with unpredictable results.

I meant to post this to the list but here we got now:

Mine was not like this because I tried in different cases. I think it
was (but not certain) a fault somewhere in my methodology.

I got over the way I felt and decided to have another crack at it. This
time I grounded my anti-static wrist strap on a different PSU to the one
I was working on. On this occasion there were no problems.

> Solution - two new (rebuilt actually) cases - no more worries.
>
> HTH

Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.