[plug] smbfs errors talking to NT4

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Apr 13 16:58:39 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 16:42, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm seeing a lot of odd errors in syslog when users are accessing our
> NT4 server over smbfs. These errors seem to correspond to the directory
> failing to display in graphical file managers like Nautilus or Konqueror
> (though a reload usually causes it to display).
>
> The errors look like this:
> smb_proc_readdir_long: error=-512, breaking

<SNIP>

I have a similar setup but never use a Linux graphical file browser.  I
have never seen that error when accessing via console either like you
reported.

I have about 20 shares permanently mounted on my Debian box (2.4.25)
from various NT4 boxes both local, and at the end of WAN links ranging
down to the low teens of kbps, and the only things I ever see are these:

Apr 13 12:09:24 wind-tunnel kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-104,
setting invalid
Apr 13 12:09:25 wind-tunnel kernel: smb_retry: successful, new pid=211,
generation=111
Apr 13 12:30:04 wind-tunnel kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-104,
setting invalid
Apr 13 12:30:06 wind-tunnel kernel: smb_retry: successful, new pid=205,
generation=128

Some kind of timeout? Dunno, it doesn't break anything and I ignore
them.

I'm slowly converting most of them over to automounts, so that gets rid
of some of the above errors too.  Cleaner logs for me, yay!

Sorry I haven't seen your particular problem though :|

Ryan