[plug] smbfs errors talking to NT4

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Apr 13 16:42:14 WST 2004

Hi folks

I'm seeing a lot of odd errors in syslog when users are accessing our
NT4 server over smbfs. These errors seem to correspond to the directory
failing to display in graphical file managers like Nautilus or Konqueror
(though a reload usually causes it to display).

The errors look like this:
smb_proc_readdir_long: error=-512, breaking

Access via the command line is reliable; I still see the readdir errors,
but they don't appear to cause any problems.

I've tried using CIFS instead, but NT4 doesn't appear to support it.

Using kioslaves/gnome-vfs is not an acceptable solution, as those
interfaces only work with a few apps. OO.o is notably not one of them.

This has been happening for a while, but has become more obvious and
more problematic with some of the new users on the system, who need to
access the NT all the time.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to get around this, I'd love to
hear it.

Craig Ringer