[plug] putty for Red Hat Linux 7.3

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Apr 13 17:14:36 WST 2004

I need to use putty.

In searching the Internet for a putty RPM for Red Hat Linux 7.3, the
only site with RPM's that I found, was at
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/putty

I have gone to that web site, and to other websites that have his putty;
putty.0.54-1.rh73.dag.i386.rpm

I have downloaded the RPM, after problems from one of the sites,
requiring a real audio plugin (to download an RPM?) and, having managed
to download the RPM file, I could not install it.

gnorpm crashed repeatedly with an authorisation error (1974, I think,
from memory), and, when I tried to use the command line rpm installer;
rpm -i <package name>, an error was returned;
"error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/puttygen; <hex
number that changes each time - assumed to be memory location>:cpio:
read"

I was referred to the planetmirror ftp site, at
ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS

I cannot find putty on that web page, and I do not know whether some
package with another name, contains putty. Also, the files on that web
page, appear to be dated up to April 2002, a couple of years ago, and my
system was last updated in about January, I think, when a new kernel for
RH 7.3, was released.

Does anyone have any helpful advice, as to how I can get putty up and
running on my system?

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby