[plug] putty for Red Hat Linux 7.3

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Apr 13 17:15:48 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 17:14, Bret Busby wrote:
> I need to use putty.

Sure.

> In searching the Internet for a putty RPM for Red Hat Linux 7.3, the
> only site with RPM's that I found, was at
> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/putty

If you mean the PuTTY terminal emulator, last I heard it was a
Windows-only program. AFAIK it's been made to run under WINE, but if
there's a Linux port it's news to me.

I'm a little confused about why you need PuTTY anyway. Surely the
openssh command line tools in an xterm do the same job?

> I have gone to that web site, and to other websites that have his putty;
> putty.0.54-1.rh73.dag.i386.rpm
>
> I have downloaded the RPM, after problems from one of the sites,
> requiring a real audio plugin (to download an RPM?)

Their server is configured to send a Real Audio MIME type for files
ending in .rpm . I think an old real format used to use that file
extension. Avoid the problem by right-clicking on the link and choosing
"save as".

> gnorpm crashed repeatedly with an authorisation error (1974, I think,
> from memory), and, when I tried to use the command line rpm installer;
> rpm -i <package name>, an error was returned;
> "error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/puttygen; <hex
> number that changes each time - assumed to be memory location>:cpio:
> read"

The RPM is probably mangled. Try downloading it with wget or finding
another source for it.

Craig Ringer