[plug] putty for Red Hat Linux 7.3

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Tue Apr 13 17:38:53 WST 2004

Hi Bret,

I'm not sure why you'd need to use putty in a Linux o/s when
Gnome/KDE-Term is basically putty (aka the windows equivalent).

If there is a specific reason why you need putty and you are aware of
GnomeTerm etc - then ignore my post (apologies in advance).

Even with things like SSH tunneling can all be done via command prompt.
A quick search using apt-cache search ssh | grep -i tunnel (debian) came
up with the following apps to make this easier:

Autossh - Automatically restart SSH sessions and tunnels
Corkscrew - Tunnel TCP connections through HTTP proxies

Autossh
--------
Package: autossh
Section: net
Installed-Size: 62
Maintainer: Filippo Giunchedi <filippo at esaurito.net>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.2f-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), ssh
Filename: pool/main/a/autossh/autossh_1.2f-2_i386.deb
Size: 19432
MD5sum: 65a73a24512f4c742cb21b4664e212a8
 autossh is a program to start an instance of ssh and monitor it,
restarting it
 as necessary should it die or stop passing traffic. The idea is from
rstunnel
 (Reliable SSH Tunnel), but implemented in C. Connection monitoring is
done
 using a loop of port forwardings. It backs off on the rate of
connection
 attempts when experiencing rapid failures such as connection refused.

Cheers,

Ranz

<You said:>
I need to use putty.

In searching the Internet for a putty RPM for Red Hat Linux 7.3, the
only site with RPM's that I found, was at
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/putty

I have gone to that web site, and to other websites that have his putty;

putty.0.54-1.rh73.dag.i386.rpm

I have downloaded the RPM, after problems from one of the sites,
requiring a real audio plugin (to download an RPM?) and, having managed
to download the RPM file, I could not install it.

gnorpm crashed repeatedly with an authorisation error (1974, I think,
from memory), and, when I tried to use the command line rpm installer;
rpm -i <package name>, an error was returned;
"error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/puttygen; <hex
number that changes each time - assumed to be memory location>:cpio:
read"

I was referred to the planetmirror ftp site, at
ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS

I cannot find putty on that web page, and I do not know whether some
package with another name, contains putty. Also, the files on that web
page, appear to be dated up to April 2002, a couple of years ago, and my

system was last updated in about January, I think, when a new kernel for

RH 7.3, was released.

Does anyone have any helpful advice, as to how I can get putty up and
running on my system?
<SNIP>