[plug] North of joondalup?

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Apr 14 13:19:34 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 15:06, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 11:55, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> > Is satelite available in WA?
>
> Yes, but mostly from Telstra. Prices aren't attractive, nor is latency,
> and a lot of satellite is one-way (so you have a 2Mb/33.6k link).
>
> Onno will know more.

..cue Onno..

Two providers (that I know of) Telstra and Optus. AFAIK the rest are
resellers (but it is entirely likely that I'm wrong on that account :-)

One way and Two way services exist for both.

As pointed out, One way uses an alternative connection for the out-bound
leg of your Internet connection. (Dial-up or ISDN).

Two way uses the satellite for both.

Prices I know of (in the area you speak of) for two way Internet from
Optus ~$2000 for the hardware, ~$150 per month for 400kb.76kb. (down/up)

You should also know that if ADSL and Cable are both not available,
there are ISDN alternatives that offer normal dial-up charges, rather
than ISDN rates - check with Telstra.

The latency on the satellite link is only a problem if you need to use
interactive services. With the Web/Email/FTP I don't notice it. With
ssh, some days are worse than others, but pretty usable.

HTH.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S38°01'05" - E145°25'10" (Upper Beaconsfield, VIC)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..