[plug] North of joondalup?

Luke Dudney ldlist at westnet.com.au
Wed Apr 14 14:10:51 WST 2004

Onno Benschop wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 15:06, Craig Ringer wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 11:55, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
>>

>>>Is satelite available in WA?
>>>

>>Yes, but mostly from Telstra. Prices aren't attractive, nor is latency,
>>and a lot of satellite is one-way (so you have a 2Mb/33.6k link).
>>
>>Onno will know more.
>>

>..cue Onno..
>
>Two providers (that I know of) Telstra and Optus. AFAIK the rest are
>resellers (but it is entirely likely that I'm wrong on that account :-)

iHug (or should I call them iiHug now?) also provide coverage in
Australia, and resell their products to ISPs (WestNet is one ISP I know
that does this, but there may be others). In WA at least, the iHug feed
is bounced off PAS-8. I think Telstra use PAS-2, and Optus B3, but I
could be mistaken.

>One way and Two way services exist for both.
>
>As pointed out, One way uses an alternative connection for the out-bound
>leg of your Internet connection. (Dial-up or ISDN).
>
>Two way uses the satellite for both.
>
>Prices I know of (in the area you speak of) for two way Internet from
>Optus ~$2000 for the hardware, ~$150 per month for 400kb.76kb. (down/up)

I did some testing and comparisons with the Optus and Telstra two-way
products about 18 months ago to determine if they could be used with a
Linux server. The Telstra product was a proprietary USB device which
only had drivers for Windows, and even then was difficult to get going.
The Optus product was similar to the contemporary ethernet ADSL routers
in that you would connect the server via crossover to the decoder which
would DHCP lease you your IP address and network details. It also had a
linux daemon that would act as a TCP accelerator by manipulating window
sizes etc, which I thought was quite nifty. Of course 18 months is a
long time in this industry, so things may have changed since then.

Cheers
Luke