[plug] North of joondalup?

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Apr 14 14:33:23 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 16:10, Luke Dudney wrote:
> Onno Benschop wrote:
> iHug (or should I call them iiHug now?) also provide coverage in
> Australia, and resell their products to ISPs (WestNet is one ISP I know
> that does this, but there may be others). In WA at least, the iHug feed
> is bounced off PAS-8. I think Telstra use PAS-2, and Optus B3, but I
> could be mistaken.

AFAIK iHug is a resell from Telstra but I might be wrong.

> I did some testing and comparisons with the Optus and Telstra two-way
> products about 18 months ago to determine if they could be used with a
> Linux server. The Telstra product was a proprietary USB device which
> only had drivers for Windows, and even then was difficult to get going.
> The Optus product was similar to the contemporary ethernet ADSL routers
> in that you would connect the server via crossover to the decoder which
> would DHCP lease you your IP address and network details. It also had a
> linux daemon that would act as a TCP accelerator by manipulating window
> sizes etc, which I thought was quite nifty. Of course 18 months is a
> long time in this industry, so things may have changed since then.

Optus uses the Gilat 360e modem which comes as a USB/Ethernet device.
The accelerator is called Tellique and is now obsolete (since the
introduction of the 360e which is a firmware upgrade of the 360)

The accelerator is now built into the modem and it is now a simple DHCP
server device from a network perspective. (As you say, like an ADSL
router.)

The Gilat hardware is also sold as Starband.

I'm using it on my Debian workstation with no problems.

There are also more expensive versions of the two-way stuff that provide
4Mbit connectivity. (Called Chiron)

The Telstra equipment is based on the Direct TV stuff, so if you can
find docs for that, you may be in luck.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S38°01'05" - E145°25'10" (Upper Beaconsfield, VIC)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..