[plug] putty for Red Hat Linux 7.3

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 15 09:14:03 WST 2004

Hi Randal,

In message <00d301c42285$50b795e0$8200a8c0 at dev.himladeon.com>
on Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:02:20AM +0800, Randal Adamson wrote:
> #cat .bash_history | less

In general, the preceding command is better performed as this
(in any shell):
% less .bash_history
Or equivalently as this in zsh (unless it is not enabled):
% <.bash_history

> (or what is known as a STREAMS module <- be careful here as this can
> be considered as SPYWARE).

POSIX STREAMS has been called many things, but never have I heard it
particularly called "SPYWARE"! Perhaps you are talking about something
else?

> Couple this up with screen and you've got some serious *nix-ing fun :P

:)

> I believe (but don't quote me) the latest unstable version (which I
> think sometimes is a misleading term) of ssh alleviates the known
> openssh vulnerabilities.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unstable version" -- perhaps you are
referring to Debian versions? In the case of most Linux distributions
(incl. Debian), security fixes are very intentionally incorporated into
existing versions. So, you need not be running the latest version of
OpenSSH as long as you have had your existing version patched. In the
case of Debian, you would generally need to be updating your packages
from the Internet (e.g. security.debian.org) for the promptest security
response.