[plug] putty for Red Hat Linux 7.3

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Thu Apr 15 10:50:31 WST 2004

Hi James,

>In general, the preceding command is better performed as this
>(in any shell):
>% less .bash_history
>Or equivalently as this in zsh (unless it is not enabled):
>% <.bash_history

There's always more than one way to skin a cat, that's what's so cool
about *nix - but thanks for the heads-up!

>POSIX STREAMS has been called many things, but never have I heard it
>particularly called "SPYWARE"! Perhaps you are talking about something
>else?

I'm more referring to the usage of STREAMS in this particular sense that
it will be logging complete STDIN/OUT of an SSH Session. You can even
log keystrokes. The caution was therefore aimed at this point rather
than POSIX STREAMS in general - and more specifically aimed at corporate
installations (where Government Legislations may have a legal bearing).

>I'm not sure what you mean by "unstable version" -- perhaps you are
>referring to Debian versions? In the case of most Linux distributions
>(incl. Debian), security fixes are very intentionally incorporated into
>existing versions. So, you need not be running the latest version of
>OpenSSH as long as you have had your existing version patched. In the
>case of Debian, you would generally need to be updating your packages
>from the Internet (e.g. security.debian.org) for the promptest security
>response.

Bingo! And to go further ... "I love apt" :P

I was under the impression Red Hat had stable RPM's and unstable RPM's
-> pardon my naivety, but, I haven't used RH properly for about 2 years.
I understand your point re: patching existing versions. But wasn't he
talking about getting it from scratch? Therefore I'd assume he'd go with
the latest version that is all "patched and ready to go".
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.linux.org.au