[plug] mta differences

smclevie at ozemail.com.au smclevie at ozemail.com.au
Fri Apr 16 17:02:16 WST 2004

Hi all.

OK I hope I am clear in my message ...

I installed (debian testing) the 'courier' suite of bits-n-pieces.

I created a few maildir directories inthe names of users with

maildirmake /var/mail/johnny

Then I looked at the 'directory' and it was present as a 'directory' when I did,
ls -al
on the /var/mail directory.

Then I send mail by,
echo "To: johnny" | /usr/sbin/sendmail

and when I went back to see the directory againwith,
ls -al
on the /var/mail directory I could see that the johnny 'directory' was now a file!!

I could read the file with mutt and it showed an email.

I can't download though to the mailbox...

SO!!

What is going on??  The maildirmake command seems to be app specific????

When postfix is installed instead of courier I get a directory with 'new' and 'cur' etc.etc.  But I lose the ability to send mail to a user on the local machine and I can't download into the mailbox etc.etc.

This interaction between MTA's and Pop servers etc seems to be a rather broken idea at this point in time, yes??

ARE maildir mailboxes different between MTA's??

Can courier-pop do multiple mailboxes or pick up a mailbox depending upon user??

Thanks,

Steve