[plug] mta differences

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Fri Apr 16 22:44:30 WST 2004

<snip>

> FYI, while there are problems with Cyrus and Outlook clients,
> it's used by a lot of _very_ large sites (big universities
> and ISPs, tens and hundreds of thousands of accounts), so I
> presume the issues aren't impossible to solve. I haven't paid
> that much attention, as I don't have to deal with OE or Lookout.

I have nightmares of Outlook Express with POP3 and multiple identities...

> > I've got the retired mail server to do some testing on and may move
> > people over onto using IMAP after I've done some testing
> with that, as
> > that'll prove to be useful in terms of providing webmail access as
> > well (especially with the bigger project down the track).
>
> I love IMAP. It's great once users start wanting
> roaming/remote access or temporary access to others'
> mailboxes. It's also nice to know that the user's mail is
> safe on the server when their workstation's hard dis dies.

And that their webmail is "live" and is exactly what their Outlook displays
:)

> > One thing I've found sadly amusing in building this new
> email server,
> > is that Clamav is more effective than the previous paid for
> anti-virus
> > software I was using under Linux (we still have the licence for the
> > old one - so I could use it if I wanted).
>
> I'm extremely happy with ClamAV. ClamAV-milter is a little
> fussy (you seem to need to remove any stale socket for clamd
> / clamav-milter before it'll run), and I've seen freshclam
> stop running for no apparent reason, but ClamAV sure does a
> good job of the actual scanning. It does it quickly and
> efficiently, too.

Agreed. Coupling transparent SMTP with (for me) qmail/amavis/clam stops
viruses coming in, and stops them getting out / around. It also takes care
of notebook users as any connection out to an SMTP server gets port
forwarded to the local MTA, meaning they can keep their usual SMTP server
settings even when in the office - Yay e-smith!

> Craig Ringer

Craig F.