[plug] deleting mail using imap

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 17 14:44:42 WST 2004

With imap, you are not reading/deleting your emails locally (unless you
are doing "offline" stuff some mail readers allow), but on the server -
the client works through a socket to the imap server.  Deletion usually
just sets a flag, so its shows as "deleted".  "Emptying the trash" as
evolution calls it, clears our the deleted messages.

In pine and evolution you can choose to either see, or not see these
messages.  Evolution can be set to "empty tash on exit", and I think
pine asks if you want to do this when you select extit.

Varies a LOT!

BillK