[plug] [OT] Wireless net help

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Tue Apr 20 12:39:21 WST 2004

Brad Campbell wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I have the oddest problem.
>
> I have a wireless link from the office to home.
> I'm using a pair of WAP11V2.6 to bridge the network, and at the home end
> I have a crossover cable from the WAP11 to a DWL-900AP+ to serve all my
> PC's around the unit.
>
> This works great with one caveat.
> I can get 3-500kb/s from home to the office, but I can only get
> 50-80kb/s from the office to home when accessed wirelessly.
> If I unplug the DWL-900 and plug the WAP11 directly into my laptop I can
> get 3-500k/s bi-directional with no problems.
> The only thing I have not yet tried (tonights project) is to put a small
> hub or switch between the WAP11 and DWL-900 to see if that makes a
> difference.
>
> The WAP11 link is using a pair of Hunts Pasta sauce cans, and is over
> about 500m but passes through 6 layers (3 double glazed windows) of
> glass with metalised tinting and a 10 foot wide concrete corridor (It's
> a pretty torturous path really). I have a pair of DWL-900AP+ but they
> did not have the legs to make the link (even with the max power patched
> firmware) whereas the WAP11's get 11MB/s out of the box so I'm using one
> of the DWL's inside and the other one is waiting for me to come up with
> a use for it.
>
> Clients are a Prism2.5 PCI card in one pc and Orinoco PCMCIA cards in my
> laptop and iPAQ.
> I can get 250kb's from PC<->LAPTOP which is about right, but I can't
> pull anything like that over the link..
>
> Anyway, I'm after some suggestions or the usual forest for the trees
> stuff..

Have a talk to Rob Clark ( http://www.freenet-antennas.com/ )
about an externel (higher gain) panel/omni/waveguide antenna for your 900+..

I'm assuming you are not using clashing channels on the Wep/900+ links,
and the rates are still no good when close to the 900+.

HTH

Garry

When a house is getting long in the tooth, less functional and less
attractive, it gets a renovation.

When a computer system is slow to respond, broken down or incapable, it
is overhauled.

When a car has lost its gloss but brings enough memories of good times
to overcome the desire for a newer model, it is restored.

Funny thing, political correctness.

Women get a makeover.
							(c)GB 2004  8^)==