[plug] [OT] Wireless net help

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Apr 20 13:22:11 WST 2004

Garry wrote:

> Have a talk to Rob Clark ( http://www.freenet-antennas.com/ )
> about an externel (higher gain) panel/omni/waveguide antenna for your
> 900+..

I don't think its a signal strength issue here :p(. Plus it would cost a bomb to get a larger
antenna shipped to Dubai. (The whole reason I'm doing this is I'm in a concrete apartment that I
can't modify at all. The only LOS I get is through 6 panes of tinted glass outside one of my toilet
windows. I managed to drill a hole in the exhaust fan to get the power and network cables out into
the light shaft where one of the WAP11's lives, and I then just get into the only accessible ceiling
in the place to connect to the DWL-900AP+)

> I'm assuming you are not using clashing channels on the Wep/900+ links,
> and the rates are still no good when close to the 900+.

This is my current iwconfig output.
I get over 250kb/s to/from another PC on this AP, so it's not a signal strength issue. It's some
strange problem with the Bridge and AP connected together. If I plug straight into the bridge I get
up to 500kb/s and if I plug straight in to the AP I get up to 500kb/s to the other PC.
I get up to 500kb/s from my laptop to the office (uplink) but I only get 50-80kb/s downlink.
The WAP11's are on Channel 11 and the DWL-900AP+ is on channel 2. All running the latest firmware.
None of the machines/AP's are reporting excessive dropped packets either :p(

eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"BCDE"  Nickname:"bklaptop"
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.417GHz  Access Point: 00:0D:88:F2:6B:4E
           Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/0
           Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality:26/0  Signal level:-71 dBm  Noise level:-97 dBm

I'll try the basic-rate thing Onno.

Thanks guys, this has been a fun (but expensive. 4 AP's a bucket load of connectors, pigtails and
addaptors from www.fab-corp.com <- plug, these guys provide great service. I guess I have spent in
the order of $1300 USD on this so far) way to get an always on internet link.

I have got an odd collection of coffee cans though and some spare connectors so I plan on doing some
antenna testing in the near future :p)

Regards,
Brad