[plug] mta differences

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Apr 20 13:34:46 WST 2004

Michael Hunt wrote:

>>I wish they'd just use c-client as the base, and be done with it. They'd
>>get authorization/authentication and SASL support for free. I suspect
>>they can't because of threading issues and/or dependencies, though.
>
> Have you looked much into evo 1.5 (development version of 2.0). There
> might be some work on that front. Currently it is in experimental or you
> could use GARNOME and compile a whole GNOME 2.6 desktop. Most of the
> changes are about integrating it with the desktop with lots of eye
> candy. To make this happen there is lots of work going on under the hood
> but from what you are saying this is more akin to changes in the running
> gear rather than a major engine overhaul ???

Well, there is some _major_ work going on. They're reworking the app to
use an external data server that's suitable for other apps to use as
well, and that's taking a lot of work. What they don't appear to be
doing is doing any real work on fixing the IMAP code.

So ... while I wouldn't call what they're doing purely cosmetic, the
deep changes they're making don't help with the particular problem area
that I'm most concerned about. I consider this unfortunate, but I don't
have any right to whine at them about it ;-)

Speaking of IMAP issues, evolution just went _totally_ _insane_ on me.
It now insists that half my mail folders 'cannot contain any messages'
so it won't display them, and it won't even open the PLUG folder at all.
  a quick 'tar cvzf evolution.tar; rm -rf evolution' and removal of the
evolution gconf data hasn't helped, either. It's doing much the same
thing now that I've reconfigured.

Mozilla sees everything quite fine, so it's not a Cyrus issue.

*arrggh*

I like Evolution's functionality a lot, I just wish the app its self was
a little more ... solid.

>>Hmm... what version? I assume it's 2.1.x not 2.2.x?
>
> Ummm. This is a woody version. Try a few releases earlier than that.
>
> ephraim:# telnet localhost 143
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK ephraim Cyrus IMAP4 v1.5.19 server ready

That's getting on prehistoric. Please forget _everything_ I said about
LMTP, because AFAIK 1.x doesn't even support it. In fact, all Woody uses
should ignore everything I say about Cyrus if they're using the Woody
builds, because Cyrus 1.x and 2.x are very different beasts.

> but as it ain't broke at the moment I'm not attempting to _fix_
> it.

Fair enough. I'm still on 2.1.x for the same reason (though I'll be
upgrading soon, because the less dependence I have on Berkley DB, the
better, and 2.2.x doesn't need BDB for as much).

> This is what I am currently doing in my exim.conf file. From memory this is what the debian doco told me was the _way to do it.
>
> local_delivery:
>   driver = pipe
>   command = "/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver ${local_part}"
>   return_path_add
>   return_output
>   prefix = ""
>   user = cyrus

Well, you're using deliver, but that's the only way to do things in 1.x
I think.

Craig Ringer