[plug] mta differences

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Tue Apr 20 15:42:47 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 13:34, Craig Ringer wrote:

<snipped>

> So ... while I wouldn't call what they're doing purely cosmetic, the
> deep changes they're making don't help with the particular problem area
> that I'm most concerned about. I consider this unfortunate, but I don't
> have any right to whine at them about it ;-)

But because it is FOSS at least you have a choice about your solutions.
Off the top of my head I can think of at least 3 :-

1. Ask the developers nicely to make your changes. (FOSS allows [1] for
better communication between users and developers).
2. Modify the source. (Either yourself or through a 3rd party). [2]
3. Use an alternative product. [3]

> Speaking of IMAP issues, evolution just went _totally_ _insane_ on me.
> It now insists that half my mail folders 'cannot contain any messages'
> so it won't display them, and it won't even open the PLUG folder at all.
> A quick 'tar cvzf evolution.tar; rm -rf evolution' and removal of the
> evolution gconf data hasn't helped, either. It's doing much the same
> thing now that I've reconfigured.
>
> Mozilla sees everything quite fine, so it's not a Cyrus issue.
>
> *arrggh*

There are two commands that I have found to be useful with running Evo. They are :-

evolution --force-shutdown
gconftool-2 --shutdown

I suspect that gconfd is still holding onto config changes. Trying
exiting out of your gnome session and see what happens. (I know, I know
why do I have to do this in a _Linux_ environment !!!)

> I like Evolution's functionality a lot, I just wish the app its self was
> a little more ... solid.

In the long run what they are endeavouring to achieve is just that.

> > > Hmm... what version? I assume it's 2.1.x not 2.2.x?
> >
> > Ummm. This is a woody version. Try a few releases earlier than that.
> >
> > ephraim:# telnet localhost 143
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > * OK ephraim Cyrus IMAP4 v1.5.19 server ready
>
> That's getting on prehistoric. Please forget _everything_ I said about
> LMTP, because AFAIK 1.x doesn't even support it. In fact, all Woody users
> should ignore everything I say about Cyrus if they're using the Woody
> builds, because Cyrus 1.x and 2.x are very different beasts.
>
> > but as it ain't broke at the moment I'm not attempting to _fix_
> > it.
>
> Fair enough. I'm still on 2.1.x for the same reason (though I'll be
> upgrading soon, because the less dependence I have on Berkley DB, the
> better, and 2.2.x doesn't need BDB for as much).

I had been planning and upgrade, but for reasons discussed before this
can wait till Sarge is out (or at least until the middle of the year
when I don't have classes). I'll look at LTMP then.

> > This is what I am currently doing in my exim.conf file. From memory
> > this is what the debian doco told me was the _way_ to do it.
> >
> > local_delivery:
> >   driver = pipe
> >   command = "/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver ${local_part}"
> >   return_path_add
> >   return_output
> >   prefix = ""
> >   user = cyrus
>
> Well, you're using deliver, but that's the only way to do things in 1.x
> I think.

Yes. It is renamed cyrdeliver on Debian systems.

Michael Hunt

[1] Note I said allows. Not all FOSS projects do this well.
[2] And  all that is entailed with it including forking, providing the
code back to the community etc.
[3] And while there are not many alternatives to Evo @ the moment (that
is _all_ of Evo's functionality) the underlying transport mechanism
(i.e. IMAP) is open and documented unlike M$ Exchange.