[plug] Singing the praises of KDE 3.2

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Apr 22 22:01:26 WST 2004

Upgraded to this recently (Mandrake 10.0). If you use KDE, you need to
upgrade as well! (-:

On top of all of its other goodness, KMail can now assign keyboard
shortcuts to a filter. What I do to condemn spam is forward it as an
attachment to an email subdomain of mine (which rips out the
attachments and feeds them to sa-learn), then delete it. So... I define
a filter to do those things, which is not triggered by anything, and
assign it to the zero key.

  Q: Is this email a spam?
  A: 0

It will also do filtering on a POP server; you can one-click reply to
default, the author, the list or everyone mentioned; have as many
identities and mailboxes as you like (and it doesn't mind boxes with
tens of thousands of message in them, I speak from experience);
spell-check as you type, all kinds of stuff.

As well as a passel of other new tabbing features Konqueror now has this
crazy new option on the bookmark menus: "Bookmark tabs as folder".
Click. All open tabs are now a folder in my bookmarks. Similarly, you
can save "view profiles" which is the current window position, all open
tabs and your place in each page.

If you do web design and have never used Konqueror, allow me to
introduce you to the conveniences of one-click page validation; of
one-click referral to a variety of HTML editors, other browsers,
whatever; and the "fish" protocol, which logs onto your server securely
via SSH, then just treats it like a local directory tree. No need for
FTP or funny extensions, and of course you can bookmark it or save it
as a part of a "view profile".

Need to shut down your lappie and go walkabout? Click Sattings,
Save-view-profile, type a name, Save. Need to go back to where you were
later? Click Settings, Load-view-profile, pick from list, viola,
they're all back! If you let KWallet keep your passwords (or include
them in the bookmarks or use a DSA key), you don't even need to log in
to the server(s) again.

I'd rabbit on about all of the other new KDE stuff, but I haven't had
time to play with it all yet.

Cheers; Leon