[plug] DVD/CD-RW Combo Drives

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Apr 25 13:04:29 WST 2004

Matthew Prouse wrote:
> I've been asked to convert my girlfriend's desktop over to Mandrake Linux...
> she thinks KDE is very cute and is tired of getting viruses: and I am tired
> of fixing them.
>
> HEr PC is fairly standard except it has a LiteOn CDRW/DVD Combo Drive: I know
> there are copyright protection issues but will the drive be able to read DVDs
> and burn CDs under Mandrake 10 (and kernel 2.6.3). Or is it going to be a lot
> of hassle?

Nup, it will work perfectly.
Linux supports both reading DVD's and writing CDR/RW with no real issues.
You might make life easier for yourself in the long run by flashing some RPC-1 firmware into the
drive before you blitz windows (Unless you have no need to play anything other than region 4 dvd's)

As the ad says "Just do it!"

Regards,
Brad